April 6, 2015 3 Comments
Support Conlangery on Patreon!
- David Salo talking at WiGL on April 11, in Madison, WI, USA
- The Sixth Language Creation Conference will be on April 25-26 in Horsham, UK
Bianca joins us today for an episode on obviation, just another option for managing discourse while clarifying who does what to who. Also, we have a couple interesting digressions on direct/inverse verb agreement systems and George’s hindsight on the appropriateness of a certain story.
Links and Resources:
- A little introduction to obviation
- “Focus, obviation, and word order in East Cree“
- “Obviation as discourse structure in Swampy Cree acimowin“
- “Syntactic direction and obviation as empathy-based phenomena: a typological approach“
- “THE OBVIATION HIERARCHY AND MORPHO SYNTACTIC MARKEDNESS“
- “Obviation, Inversion, and Topic Rank in Ojibwa“